Thursday, September 24, 2009

A whirl wind of EMOTIONS!

It has been eleven days since Jake came into my life and I have experienced a whirlwind of emotions I never thought would take a hit at me. I've been told that this is normal. I am glad to hear since I am typically not an emotional person. At least not this emotional.
I have enjoyed being a mom so far. Each day brings more joy and love into my life as I bond with my little man, and my big man too. Joe and I both knew that we didn't need to have kids to improve our life or make us happier because we were perfectly happy just they way we were. However, now that Jake is in our life he has opened up a new kind of love that Joe and I have never felt for each other and for another person. I understand more of how God loves us because of the way I love Jake. I would do anything for him, just to see him happy, safe, and healthy.
My first week as a mom was full of visitors, a lack of sleep, many tears shed, making hard decisions about what is best for Jake. Should I use a pacifier? How long should I nurse him? Should I rock him to sleep? How long should he stay in our room with us before we move him into his own room? Does he have gas, or is he just fighting sleep? Is he hot, or cold? Should I wake him up to feed him? I know, it seems like I am probably over thinking things a little too much, but when you have never had your own child to nurture and your world revolves around him, you want to make sure you are doing the best possible thing for him.
Nursing is going really well, except for all the spitting up. Yuck! At least it doesn't stink. Our first couple of days were a little tough but he has caught on to it quickly and even though it make for a very mundane kind of life right now I do enjoy the time I get with him that no one but me gets to share. Evening feedings aren't so bad. He consistently eats every 3 hours, sometimes sooner, but I do end up getting a good couple of hours of sleep in between his meals.
We took Jake to the hospital on Saturday morning for his circumcision. Not a fun thing to watch! Have I expressed my distaste for hospitals? I am glad we have doctors and nurses, but when you walk into a doctors office and the nurses and doctors treat you having a baby as an illness, and ask me if I am seeing an OB to make sure things are healing well etc etc, it is just slightly annoying to me. Hospitals are for sick people. Being pregnant is not an illness, and having a baby is a completely normal part of life. Sure, there can be complications that require the expertise of a doctor, but holy cow, I have a perfectly healthy baby who gained an once and a half in the first week, and I have healed rather quickly. Our pediatrician was so worried to do the circumcision because Jake hasn't had his Vit K shot. I told him he would be fine and to go ahead with the procedure. He did great and healed nicely.
Joe is gone for the next several days, hiking up Mt. Rainer with our friend Todd Rielage from Anderson. I am glad he can have this opportunity to live out a dream. Thanks Todd and Bethany for making this trip happen for him. Even though I miss him like crazy and he misses us, I know he will be glad he went. He comes home Monday night. I can't wait!
My mom and sister Heather are here with me for the week/weekend. My dad other sister Kim will be here tonight. It is so nice to have family to keep me company. It can get a little lonely around here when it is just me and Jake so if you ever want to come visit me, give me a call.
Well, time to nurse, again!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update mel :) glad to hear is all is well... I was curious if you were going to circ, I'm still leaning in that direction, should I ever need to make that decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. he really is a handsome little man! i'm so excited to have our little one to hold very soon. sounds like you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too, was wondering if you would circ. What lead you to that decision, if you don't mind my asking?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We decided to Circ because after talking to several nurses who work in nursing homes told us about older men who have not been circ and gotten bad infections and had to be circ at such an old age. Also we didn't want our son to wonder why he doesn't look like his daddy and avoid the potential of being made fun of by other boys in school. I personally think uncirc is very unattractive as well. It wasn't a pleasant thing to have to watch but he didn't feel a thing and healed very quickly.

    ReplyDelete