Wednesday, September 2, 2009

It's just a Different Viewpoint

I feel like I need to clairify a few things I have posted in previous blogs about my different way of thinking in regards to my choices to have a home birth, to use a midwife and not a doctor, avoid a medicated birth, and not be induced as well as several other topics I don't need to mention to protect myself. I know that I am the minority in these decisions. 95% of the people I know don't do things the way that I do and I am okay with that. When it comes to my difference of opinion on any subject matter I do not want people to think that just because I have choosen a different path that my way is better than your way, that I am right and you are wrong, that because I have a difference of opinion that your opinion doesn't matter. Does that make sense? When I feel strongly about something I want people to know why I believe the way I do, but I also know that in the past I have sent a false message that if you don't do things the way I do, I think you are stupid and irresponsible. That couldn't be further from the truth, especially since a majority of the people I know may not agree with my way of thinking.
So if you have read my blog in the past, and been offended by anything I said, or felt attacked, demeanored, or that I was trying to tell you the way you do things is wrong, I apologize to you for causing you to feel that way. My intentions are not to hurt people. I simply want to explain why I do the things that I do because I am usually in the minority in the choices I make. I also want to raise awareness on the many different options that are out there for having babies that can work better for you. I don't judge those that have hospital births, have epidurals or inductions etc. Whatever works for you isn't going to change the way I think of anyone. It just isn't the way I want to do things. It is as simple as that. Don't take it personally please!

4 comments:

  1. I appreciate this post bc to be honest I have felt uncomfortable. I think anytime someone does something completely different from the way you do it, you ask yourself "did I do the right thing?" or "did I cause harm to my baby?" but in the end, we each have to decide what is best for us and our babies and do that.

    Mel, I appreciate that you stand by your guns and are passionate about your decisions. You also have done a lot of research which I respect. I think that is why people are waiting so intently to hear about the coming of Baby Wisley because his or her arrival will be different from most. I think that when we come to your blog we know we will get straight talk from you because that is what you do...and that's great! I look forward to hearing about your experience because I know you will be upfront about everything. Hope this baby comes safely and soon......love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your honesty Stacy! I always hope that anything I blog about or say won't come off as, "look at me, I do things better than you." When I share my feelings about something I feel strongly about I don't like to beat around the bush or write up bunch of fluff because I am afraid of what people will think of me. I figured that since I am different in the way I do things that most people wouldn't take offense at what I say. Apparently being the minority among your friends that isn't the case like I thought it would be. People question my decisions all the time, give me weird looks, and I'm sure stapled me a "hippie" so to save people the trouble of wondering why I chose this path I thought explaining it in a blog would help ease their curiosity. I never write my thoughts with the intention of making people feel like they make the wrong decisions. Like you said, I am passionate and VERY upfront! I'll try and tone it down some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mel, am I missing something here? I just looked back through your blog and hardly found anything "controversial" besides mention of using a midwife (?). Did you delete other posts? Anyway, you've never offended me:) Maybe I'm so far from mainstream myself that I don't even catch these things- I hope so!
    p.s. Please don't tone it down! Why not be real?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No Lynsey, I haven't deleted any posts. I have kept everything as is. I guess I have offended some with my being up front and real. I would rather not tone down the way I feel, but I also don't want to ruin relationships over such a little thing either.

    ReplyDelete