Friday, April 10, 2009

I Love Resale Shopping

Since Joe and I have been raising our support for Joe to work as Program Director at Rainbow Christian Camp I have been trying to find ways of shopping more cheaply. One of those ways is resale shopping or what my friend Bekah and I like to call "Thrifting." Once I found out that I was pregnant last December I was a little worried about having to purchase a bunch of maternity clothes and I knew they would be more expensive than what we can afford right now. Last month my friend Bekah and I headed up to Aurora IL to check out a couple of thrift stores for a day and I didn't think I would actually come home with much. I think I was expecting a Goodwill type of store and was glad to find I was way off. I have never seen so many racks of clothes in my life. I was excited to see what used treasures I would find but very overwhelmed at the same time since these are the types of places that hurt my brain. I ended up finding several gently used maternity clothes as well as a nice cradle and baby carrier all for a very low price. Even after my successful finds I had the worst splitting headache that lasted for about 24 hours after returning home. For some reason the stores were very crowded and we weren't even there on a weekend!
I spent the past week at home with my mom and dad and the three of us decided to go check out a few resale shops this past Monday. Luckily the shops were not crowded and I found a lot more maternity clothes, including 3 dresses which I have had a hard time finding. It seems like most pregnant women don't really wear dresses that often. I figured I will be more comfortable in a dress being pregnant during the hottest months of the year. So with the 3 that I found and 2 that my mom is going to make me I think I am set on maternity clothes. Every item of clothing with the exception of 3, are all either from a resale shop or a friend who is finished having kids. I am very happy with my new-to-me clothes! I was also able to find a practically new toddler hiker backpack for 14 bucks and a baby bath for less than 2 dollars! I love a good bargain and even better, my parentsspoiled me and bought my items for me! Thanks mom and dad!
I know that since I will be having several baby showers I should probably relax a little on the resale shopping and wait to be pampered before I go back to look for more stuff but why pass more than a good deal and have someone else waste their money on something I can find for much cheaper. Well, my resale shopping days are on hold until after the baby comes and I see what I get for my showers. But I will definitely shop for bargains before going to any retail storesfrom now on. If anyone of you are bargain shoppers give me a call and I would love to thrift with you sometime!

3 comments:

  1. thrift stores=SO MUCH FUN!
    we totally need to go shopping sometime!

    I know what you mean about getting a headache though. I think it's the lights, or the general lack of organization in the clothes, or something.
    and sometimes thrift stores are only open on certain days and if they have good stuff and people know about it, it will be busy whenever it's open. :)

    hope you're enjoying your hubby...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thrifting is awesome...I can't wait for garage sale season! It is definitely great to find a deal...especially since a lot of what the baby needs (at least clothing) they grow out of so quick! I was glad we didn't end up with a lot of newborn-3 month cloths...feels like such a waste once Eyla grew past that stage. Good work on the maternity clothes, too. Again, only used for a relatively short amount of time and then packed away into the closet they go!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I think I can help you out! With Preston I was pregnant in the summer and since we are almost the same size, I am going to hook you up with all of my maternity stuff! I'll bring them this week when I see you!

    ReplyDelete