Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Dirty Hair: cause I'm a hippy like that!

Well! Well!  Has it really been over two weeks since my last post?  The days pass by so quickly and yet, I complain about being bored. I must not be if time flies by like it has. We have been keeping busy.  Jake sure helps the days go by quickly but I find that after a couple of days with nothing planned my cabin fever creeps up on me and attacks viciously without warning. Even a trip to the grocery store keeps me sane. For some reason getting out of the house for an hour works to keep cabin fever symptoms to a minimum. 
To catch you up.  Last week I decided a couple of things. I decided I am not going to wash my hair for a while, or maybe never again.  "Why," you ask?  I knew you would ask.  Well, I have decided that I am not happy with my hair and that could partly be from having well water which dries it out even though we have a softener.  Two years ago I switched from washing my hair everyday to only every 3 days and that was helping.  Now, I just want to experiment with the no-poo hair and see what happens. I googled it and found several people that support the idea and have been poo-free, some for 6 months,  and others 12 months or longer. I also have a friend who tried it for a few weeks but broke down and used shampoo.  She says that there is a transition point that your hair goes through to get used to not being chemically stripped of it's natural oils.  So far it has been a week and it's not that bad... yet!  My hair obviously feels different.  Not dirty, but certainly not fresh.  Joe says that I'm a hippy!  Oh well, I did have my baby at home! So be it! I am a hippy in more ways then one. I will keep you updated on the process. Here is a link if you are curious: http://1greengeneration.elementsintime.com/?p=365
The second thing I decided was to learn to knit. The same friend that didn't wash her hair for a few weeks knits and she has inspired me to start. She loaned me a set of needles, a book and gave me some cheap yarn to start with.  I haven't started yet. It is kind of hard to get it going with all the stay-at-home mommy things I do during the day.  I also tend to procrastinate when it comes to learning something new.  Don't know why, but I do.  I hope I learn quickly because I know I will give it up if I don't and I would love to be able to make things other than scarves and pot holders.
Well I am out of words to write. It is late, the baby is fed, I have watched Idol and The Bachelor and it's time for bed.  Hope you all are having a great day and not stuck inside like me.  Call me if you want to hang out!

4 comments:

  1. You need a new name for your experiment! Poo-free sounds way too weird!! How about letting your hair go "au natural?" Good luck with it...I will think of you as I soap up my hair tommorow. :) See you this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we lived closer I would love to call you and go hangout somewhere with the kids. I wash my hair once a week and I wash with a baking soda solution. I love it! You can also you apple cider vinegar for condition if you'd like but I haven't tried that yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never tried knitting...but I did manage to learn how to crochet. knitting is a very hippy thing to do. :)

    does your hair get really oily when you don't wash it? cause my hairdresser has long suggested to me that I only wash my hair every other day, but every time I've tried I can't stand how nasty it gets so I still wash and condition every day. My hair is very healthy though so I haven't seen the need to change.

    Ps. I want to hang out!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No Allyson, my hair doesn't get oily. At least not after one day. It was getting to the point where I felt I really needed to wash it yesterday but I just used baking soda mixed with water to make a paste and it feels great to me now. I think I will do that once a week for a couple more weeks and see if I like doing this. So far, I do!

    ReplyDelete