Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Cancelling Cable...

Well Joe and I decided to cancel our cable TV when our contract is up at the end of December. Oh the time I will have to get projects started that I have put off, the number of books I will read, the quality time spent with Joe after Jake goes to bed and the time I would have once wasted during Jake's nap being bored watching crap TV when I could be cleaning, doing my quiet time, learning to knit, exercising etc. I can't say that I am going to love it for the first several weeks. I am sure that I will miss some of my favorite shows such as The OFFICE, SURVIVOR, ELLEN, SUPER NANNY, MAN VS WILD, MAN WOMAN WILD, PAWN STARS... just to name a few. I am looking forward to washing myself clean of my love for TV as well as the amount of money it will save of per year not having it. I think it all adds up to be $636 per year just to have cable TV! That would have taken care of our property tax for the last 6 months! It also relieves me to know that Jake will grow up not always wanting to have the TV on and will use his time being creative and active! Yeah for making life changes. Time to get out my puzzles, books, yarn, cook books and workout clothes!

7 comments:

  1. We cancelled cable and got a Netflix subscription ($10/month) and bought an antenna. Between that and what's available on hulu.com we only miss Monday night football.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have the bare min of cable where we only pay 15 a month but if we got rid of it our internet bill would go up more than the 15 dollars because it is a deal having two services. But our tv is rarely on. I am proud of you! I wish I could do the same thing because I feel like it is a waste of money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with anonymous! We have a digital cable box that allows us to watch some of the shows that are on the networks for free. I don't think I could go cold turkey and not have any tv...but you might like it! We are also able to get the shows from PBS that the kids love and are more educational than most kids programs. Make sure you blog on how you like it without tv!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We haven't had cable for the last 6 months and I love it. I only miss DVR:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have been cable-less for quite awhile too! We do have a digital antenna so we get the local stations. Bernie gets really frustrated b/c channel 8 doesn't come in well & that is the station that carries most of the football games.... we can get it in though we just have to put the antenna in the middle of the room ... in the way of pretty much everything! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome Mel! We haven't had cable for 4 1/2 years ago and a year ago we actually did without a TV in the house for over 5 months before deciding it was nice to at least watch an occasional movie from RedBox :) We don't miss much of anything except the fact that we don't understand what most people are talking about when they start talking about the latest episode of Dancing with the Stars, Survivor, Glee, or any other show from TV. To be honest I enjoy the peace and quiet that not have TV affords us!

    ReplyDelete