Monday, November 8, 2010

Not that I need it, but I want it!

God has been working on my heart as of late when it comes to my needs vs. my wants. When I open up my drawers or look into my closet and wonder what I am going to put on for the day little voices start to pop into my head that I need more clothes, or I need to have a black pair of flats as well as a brown pair...  Most girls are like this! We feel the need to have 5 or more purses, 4 belts, 6 pairs of high heels, three pairs of gym shoes, several pairs of sandals(all different colors), 4 pairs of jeans(all different washes), 10 dresses, 5 sweaters, 5 sweat shirts etc. I think you get the idea. Why is it that we think we need all these things? Why are they so important to us to have so many things? Why does fashion matter? I am certainly not saying I think we should all wear sweat pants and a T-shirt everyday, but the amount of clothes and accessories is way more abundant than it should be.
I was doing my laundry today and as I was separating the colors I noticed a maternity shirt I had not worn in a few weeks! I was excited to find it but the fact that I forgot I owned it made me stop and think about why I think I need more clothes when I can't even remember the ones I do have. I do about 3 loads of laundry per week. One dark load, one light colored load and a small white load. This does not always include the load of towels and sheets that I do every week, but I humbly think that is a pretty fair amount of clothes to be washed on a weekly basis. However, I think I have enough clothes that I wouldn't have to wash any for about a month. This to me is very sad!
I took a trip into Kokomo this weekend with my sister-in-law and Jake. My mission was to find a heavy winter coat for Jake. We made a stop at TJ Max but no luck in finding his size. I haven't been shopping in a long time so I decided to browse the shoes, scarves, and purses. This was somewhat of an unwise decision since it only made me want everything I saw! It is hard to browse when you have no money to buy so I won't be doing that again. Our trip ended at Old Navy and a $20 purchase for my little Jake. Now he was in definite need of a coat!
Christmas is coming up and I always struggle with this time of year, especially this year since I have been so convicted about money the last couple of months. Tis the season to want more, get more and spend more! Why? I have no problem giving more, but I hope my giving this year will go to those who need more. I plan to give a present or two to Jake and Joe, but I am much more excited about what my family can do to help others that have true needs. I am beginning to learn that the best way to lose the way money has control over our lives is to have less and give more. Joe read me an excellent quote that comes from a book called, "The Hole in our Gospel" which explains that idea better.
"We must never for a single moment lose sight of the stark realization that whenever we deal with money, we are dealing with dynamite. What is one day that which we control, the next day becomes the controller. Such dynamite must be defused, and the greatest diffuser that we as Christians have at our disposal is the opportunity to take that which seeks to dominate us and simply give it away. Think about it. There is no greater expression of money's total lack of dominance over us or of its low priority in our lives than when we can with joy and peace, give it away for the Lord's work. You cannot worship the God of mammon and be a free and cheerful giver. Likewise, you cannot serve the living God and be a hoarder of his resources. Giving, both how we give and how much we give, is the clearest outward expression of who our God really is. Our check stubs speak more honestly of our priorities than our church memberships."

The less I have, the less I stress and worry about because I learn to rely on God provision for me vs. losing my need to rely on anyone but myself. I am thankful for the things I have and I don't need more because I don't want my things to control me.

1 comment:

  1. we just finished doing the hole in our gospel at church. I hate the give mes and the I wants...

    ReplyDelete