Tuesday, September 13, 2011

He's 2, but not terrible!

Really? I have a two year old? Someone pinch me cause I don't feel like 2 years has gone by already!
I love this kid though! He lights up my life and gives me more JOY than I ever thought a kid could give me!

Jake has taught me a lot about being a mom!
I thought it would be fun to write about those things I have learn over the last two years being Jake's mom.
1. Hold my tongue when it doesn't matter. This one's is referring to keeping my opinion to myself when it doesn't matter. I've learned to accept others in the way they raise their kids. I am learning to have good relationships with others despite our differences.
2. Always check water temp before putting your kid into the tub!
3. Go on dates with Joe as often as possible! This one keeps Joe and I sane! If we start getting grouchy we know that we need a date night and try to go on one at least once every couple of weeks!
4. Breastfeeding is great cause it's free and so much easier that bottle feeding but when I stopped breastfeeding Jake around 12 months my hormones made a return for the better and our sex life went from good to great! I will be glad when Wade is weened in about 6 months!
5. Time to myself is a requirement! I have done a really bad job at this one! I can sort of consider the boys 2-3 hour nap time to be that time but hardly since I am usually doing housework during that time. I need to find ways of getting out more with my girlfriends!
6. It's nice to have a dog as a vacuum! He saves me from having to clean up having lots of food messes! I would rather have to vacuum dog hair ever other day than have to clean oatmeal or sticky rice off the floor
7. Disciplining with love, a calm heart and not raising my voice. I do this so much better than I thought I ever would! I have a temper. Not a terrible one, but when I am annoyed with repetitive foolishness my heart rate increases and I have worked really hard at being firm without raising my voice and remaining calm!
8. Praying for and with my kids on a daily basis has helped my personal prayer life grow! I have always struggled to be consistent in my conversation with God and having kids has taught me to stay more consistent as I pray often with them.
9. Finding ways to be more frugal by way of garage sales, couponing, and borrowing from others!
10. kids forgive a lot faster than adults do! I've messed up as a mom plenty of times and amazed by how quickly Jake moves on when hurt his feelings.
11. Always keep pants on a toddler when going down for a nap so you don't have a poopie mess to clean up later!
12. shopping for my kids is way more fun than for myself!
13. I never thought I would enjoy watching Elmo's world.
14. Kids hear, see and understand a whole lot more than we give them credit for!
15. I drink more coffee now than ever before!

He doesn't know it yet but Jake really has changed me in so many ways! I certainly don't want to get any older but I really do look forward to seeing him grow older and getting to develop more and more of a relationship with him.
Here he is! My favorite 2 year old! Isn't he a stud!

No comments:

Post a Comment