Tuesday, May 4, 2010

My favorite Parenting book thus far

I have to share because I found a book that just so happens to be the best book on parenting I have read in a long time. In a previous post I wrote about how I am searching for answers on how God instructs us to parent and what I thought to be good parenting before I had kids is now different for me now that I have my own, not much, but I have a better understanding of child-rearing since having Jake. I have done a lot of online reading about discipline. I have read strangers blogs, gone to christian websites, secular websites, websites for mom's, etc. Joe told me I needed to stop reading so much on it because he didn't want me to be brainwashed by so many opinions. I agreed I should probably not be so obsessed over it, but I want to do the very best at being the parent God instructs me to be. Parenting thus far has been the most challenging part about being a parent. It's not the crying, the fussiness, the runny nose, getting up in the middle of the night, but it's the decision of how we are going to parent Jake.  The other part that goes along with that is the challenge you face when your parenting styles don't match with those you live life with. It's not that they have to match, but it becomes a challenge because if my way is different from other families way you don't want to step on their toes and/or offend others visa versa We are all going through the same thing and yet we still avoid this topic of "parenting." I personally would rather talk about it, even if we disagree, than too avoid it.
Of all the info on blogs, websites, and books I have read I found a book that I feel is one of the best books on Parenting. It is called "Parenting by the Book" by John Rosemond.  You can go to his website and read up on him and his material(www.rosemond.com). John practiced in Psychology and has written many other books on parenting.  If you have been questioning the meaning of the phrase "the rod" John explains it in this book in a way I have never heard before.  If you are interested in finding out more go to the link at the end of this blog and you can read the introduction, Chapter 1 and 5 of this book to see if it is something you might be more interested in reading for yourself.
I would consider myself a traditional parent. I haven't been comfortable with the new postmodern way of parenting, thus the reason I like this guy so much because he makes sense and believes that the way child- rearing was done before the 1960's was really the best way to do it. In other words our grandmothers knew what they were doing. He also does a great job of backing up his beliefs with verses from the Bible. Happy reading!
http://www.rosemond.com/PbTB-Download.html

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree parenting is one of the hardest things about being a parent! As my kids have gotten older and their friends families do things differently we have just told them that Our family does it this way. We use our last name though. Then I always say stuff like well I'm not so and so's mom but I am yours and this is what we are going to do etc etc. I'm now curious about this guy I will have to check him out :)

    ReplyDelete