Saturday, May 9, 2009

Price Comparison for Cloth vs. Disposable Diapers

If you were curious about the money you can save by using cloth diapers here is a little incentive for you to start using them. This info comes from toastybaby.com. I am registering for my diapers from nickisdiapers.com because I feel they have more a of selection to choose from. I am doing prefolds with diaper covers and a gracious friend of mine is passing on around ten all-in-ones for me too. Cloth diapers are not like they used to be so check em out.


Amercians spend about 7 billion dollars on disposable diapers every year. The cost of cloth diapering can easily be less than 1/2 the cost of buying disposables.Cost Savings: Cloth Diapers vs. Disposable Diapers

Disposable Diapers = $2,214.00
1st 3 months ($270.00)
30 days/month x 10 diapers/day x 3 months = 900 diapers a month
900 diapers x $.30 = $270.00
4 - 30 months ($1,944.00)
30 days/month x 8 diapers/day x 27 months = 6,480 diapers
6,480 diapers x $.30 = $1,944.00

Chinese Prefold & Bummis Super Whisper Wraps = $734.00
Chinese Prefolds ($132.00)
36 infant prefolds @ $2.00 each = $72.00
24 regular prefolds @ $2.50 each = $60.00
Bummis Super Whisper Wraps ($242.00)
8 small covers (white) @$11.00 each = $88.00
8 medium covers (white) @$11.00 each = $88.00
6 large covers (white) @$11.00 each = $66.00
Laundering Cost
24 months x $15.00/month = $360.00

Bumkins All-In-One = $1,807.95
Small (White)
36 @ $15.99 = $575.64
Medium (White)
30 @ $15.99 = $479.90
Large (White)
24 @ $15.99 = $383.76
Doublers for overnight
3 @ $2.95 = $8.85
Laundering Cost
24 months x $15.00/month = $360.00 Assumptions:

Average cost of disposable diaper = $.30. Based on price review at local area Kroger.
Laundering Cost is estimated at $15.00/month. This may vary based on the age and style of your washing machine.
Babies who are cloth diapered are potty trained on average in 24 months versus 30 months for those who wear disposable diapers.
Wipes & other accessories are not factored into this comparison. There would be further costs for both disposable and cloth and could vary greatly depending on the accessories used.

5 comments:

  1. ummm, I'd just like to say that no matter if it is cloth or disposable, changing diapers is no fun. babies still poop in them.

    that is quite a price difference though. I had no idea. not that I should.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made wipes out of paper towels and they work great. They're less than half the cost of regular wipes! you can find easy recipes online. plus, they don't have as many chemicals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa steered me toward cloth diapers when my youngest was 1 month old. Here are my start up costs.
    2 dozen standard infant Chinese Pre-folds @ 18/dozen. Nickisdiapers.com
    2 snappies at 2.40/each Nickisdiapers.com
    6 small Bummis diaper covers at 8.95/each Clothclarencediapers.com
    I just recently purchased 1 dozen standard regular at $21.00.
    The total that I have spent so far is $130.00. I anticipate that this will last me awhile.
    As for wipes, I make my own, and instead of using papertowels I use baby wash cloths.
    Recipe:
    2cups of water
    1/2 cup of Baby oil
    1/4 cup of baby wash
    Baby lotion
    I bought 3 packs of washcloths at $3.00 each with 8 washcloth in each pack.
    I just wash the cloth diapers and washclothes together.
    I do use Draft baby laundry soap which is about 10.00 for a 36 load bottle.
    Having used disposable diapers and wipes with my first I can tell you that I am saving TONS O'MONEY.
    Thanks Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I as well have saved tons of money. I think I've spent a total of ~$200-$250 and that has lasted 9 months now (I bought all mediums when she was 5 months old and at 19 mo's she is still in the same ones) I doubt I'll ever have to buy larges b/c she'll be potty trained before that. And don't forget- you can count on getting about half of what you spend back if you resale! That makes the price even less! Cloth diapering is great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great info but from my experience about the potty training is actually opposite. All the friends I know that cloth diapered had a harder time potty training and all my kids potty trained early and easier. Just my experience. It could be the techniques we used that made all the difference? And that is just my experience and hearing my friends.

    ReplyDelete