Saturday, May 2, 2009

Kids are kind of like dogs.


I once had a friend tell me that babies are much easier than puppies. If that is the case then my up coming responsibilities of training my kids will be a breeze. Ha! I am so sure that I won't fall for that lie but if I can train my kids to listen to me and behave as well as my dog Maximus than I am actually looking forward to being a parent. For the longest time I put having kids at the bottom of my list of adventures to pursue. I have always loved kids, other people's in particular since I have never had my own, but I could always give the kids back to their parents when I had my fill. I will admit there are many kids that I find very unpleasant to be around, and very few that are so well behaved I could take them for my own. Based on that I am making it my goal to have children that my friends will enjoy just as much as I do, just like my awesome dog Maximus. He is only 6 months old and the handsome little guy steals peoples hearts with his precious face and his near perfect behavior. I am so glad that we decided to give up our other demon possessed dog, Sadie. She probably would have ended up having one of our kids for dinner, even though she never showed any kind of aggression towards any child until we got back from our hike as went after my nephew. I think dogs are a lot like kids. Either you like them or you don't, or, they are either annoying and not cute or pleasant and adorable. There are very few times that I don't like my dog and that is usually when he has smelly farts. Now I know some of you may be thinking how silly that comparison sounds but I think it all comes down to how consistent a parent or dog owner is in training their child or pet. So I have a few resources for you all if you like to read or if you have a pet you would like to develop better behavior patterns. First, go to nogreaterjoy.com and buy the book "To Train Up A Child." It is a very short book but very helpful in the biblical truths of training up an angel rather than a demon. Now, if you don't agree with spanking than I still recommend you read it anyway. If you still disagree with spanking after you have read the book than pass the book onto me and I will pass it on to someone that does agree with spanking. Second, for your pet, google The Perfect Dog and order Don Sullivan's training system. Well worth the money! We used his techniques with our three year old dog Sadie and with Maximus who we started training at 9 weeks. I only wish we were able to work with Sadie at a younger age. We made a lot of mistakes with her which is probably why she was so aggressive and protective. Maximus however, is proof that Don's system works. I have never had so many complements on how well-behaved he is and have even had people ask us if we would sell him to them. I would never consider selling him for any price. He is the best dog I've known! Well, there's my two cents worth of advice.

Happy Training!

1 comment:

  1. Melissa,
    You, Joe and Maximus were a match made in heaven. I always know when things are a perfect match when trying to find good parents for the rescue puppies and Bill and I knew the minute you two walked in the door and starting playing with the puppies that one of them was going home with you two.
    You will do awesome with the new baby I know it in my heart, you are truly a very blessed family.
    Jeany Stombaugh

    ReplyDelete