Saturday, April 2, 2011

Wade Robert's Birth Story

I am now a mother of TWO! Woa! I don't know what I am going to do with two yet. I can't comprehend what my friends go through who have twins! You parents are super parents!
Well I better get this down while it is still pretty fresh in my mind!
Wednesday night I was enjoying my favorite TV show, Survivor, when I had a really intense contraction. I literally thought I needed to poop so I quietly walked to the bathroom and nothing happened. I didn't want to make a big deal about it since we had two of our interns from camp over and I have had a lot of contractions the last couple of weeks.
Exhausted from a long day of playing with Jake I chose to head to bed early. My day was rather horrible so I had a feeling that I was going to hit hard labor sometime in the night and wanted to get as much rest as possible.
I had two strong contractions at 11:30pm and then again around 1:30am. I got up to go to the bathroom both times and felt better. Sometime between 3:30am-4am I woke up with pretty painful contractions so I began to time them and by 5am they were 5-6 min apart, sometimes closer. I labored for that hour or so without waking Joe. I wanted to make sure that this time it was for real since I had two nights of labor with no progression. By 5 I knew it was the real thing. They were starting to really hurt. I called my mom and dad in Chicago and told them to get here when they could. My mom was going to try to make it for the birth! Next I went to the bedroom and told Joe it was time to have a baby. He called the midwife, gave her the heads up and told her we would call her when we needed her to come. Knowing how long I had labored with Jake I was not expecting things to move along so quickly. Boy was I wrong, and so glad too! We had a friend come pick up Maximus(not supposed to be around when the midwife is here), and then had another friend come pick up Jake around 6:30am and by that time my contractions were intense and on top of each other. I was still able to walk around in between them, but once they hit I would collapse on the bed or couch and try my best to relax every muscle in my body. I decided then it was time to jump in the tub and see if the warm water would help numb the pain a little. 30 min later I was feeling like I needed to push! I couldn't believe I had dilated so quickly! Joe called our midwife to find out where she was and by the time he hung up the phone I couldn't wait any longer. I had to push! After my first push Joe asked, "was that a push?" I don't remember answering him. I just gripped his hands and pushed again and felt the head coming down. A third push and his head was crowning. It was so cool to reach down and touch his head while I waited for that last push. I told Joe to get ready to catch the baby and with one more push Wade was born in the water in our living room and without any help from our midwife. She actually walked in the door about 3 min late and she took over from there. I was able to deliver the after birth without any trouble and Wade took to nursing like a pro within 20 min of being born! I went straight to my herbal bath to get cleaned up while the midwife checked all of Wade's vitals, AGAR score, and measured and weighed him. Joe came to the bathroom to tell me our boy weighed 9 lb 2 oz! I thought it was an early April Fool's joke! I was for sure that he was going to be around 8 lb or less! I must say I never thought I would deliver a baby over 9 lbs. Is it wrong of me to feel proud?
My parents arrived about two hours after Wade was born and I was up and moving around within a few hours with no more than a back ache. Water Births are amazing! I wouldn't do it any other way ever again! I highly recommend them!
The last couple of days have been so easy compared to my first time having a baby. I have had no swelling, very little pain, and had a very small tear. My back has been about as sore as it would be after a hard weight lifting workout.
Wade has been a fabulous nurser and has slept great the first two nights. Jake loves his little brother as much as an 18 month old can understand. He is able to say Wade's name and calls him Bubba as well. I think these two are going to hit it off rather well. I have fallen love all over again! Babies are so precious and a gift from God. Thanks for all your prayers and words of encouragement as we all were waiting for Wade's first appearance. Feel free to come by and visit us!

6 comments:

  1. CONGRATS! Can't wait to see you again and meet Wade!

    Melissa Duckwall

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved reading the story melissa! He is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awesome! Wish we lived closer, I bet we would be good friends!! You did a great job...and 9lb babies are no joke to birth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such an amazing birth story! Thanks for sharing it with us. He is so handsome :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! God is amazing, you are amazing and your precious Wade is amazing! Thank you for sharing. What an incredible story!!! P.S. Joe is pretty cool too for catching Wade. ;-)

    ReplyDelete