Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Workout Week # 2

I am three days behind in posting this because our internet at the camp is finicky and about every two weeks decides it doesn't want to work. It really doesn't bother me that I can't get online for a few days because it allows me to catch up on some things that I should be doing rather then reading blogs, posting blogs or seeing what is going on on Facebook.
Anyway, so last week marks my second week of working out consistently. I must say that it has been so much easier for me to stay with it when I know that I will be posting my monthly pictures and writing a weekly blog about it for you to read. Even if I don't get any comments I know people are reading and that is enough for me to stick with it even when I am so tired, only have 30 min to workout or if I am tempted to stop by our local ice cream shop for a treat. I actually did end up having some ice cream last week when my sister came to visit for a few days. It was totally worth it, as well as the pizza we ordered one night. 
Week 2 wasn't any easier in terms of the exercises becoming easier, but I for sure was not as sore as the first week. Personally I don't mind being sore because it makes me feel like I am working hard. That isn't a factor in how hard you work, but I enjoy the pain per se. I was able to get through all of my workouts except for this past Saturday. I decided I could use the day to veg, and veg is what I did. Joe was gone Tuesday night through Saturday and when he got home he said that I was looking like I am tightening up in my stomach! Yepee! Although I don't feel that I look much different but hey, I will gladly take the compliment.
Challenges for the week were as follows:
1: Whenever Joe leaves for a few days I always seem to have the most difficult time eating well. I snack more on carbs and don't want to cook healthy meals if I am the only one to cook for. Foods that I crave are usually, rice, popcorn, cereal, dried fruit and pretzels. I know they aren't terrible choices, but I eat too much of it at one time.
2: Baby Showers and Wedding Showers! It is that time of year when everyone and their mother seems to be having a baby or getting married and that means showers, which means food and worst of all, Cake! Cake is one of my favorite things! Oh the wonderful flavor of that moist chocolate goodness covered in sweet, thick frosting is almost too much for me to even know what the meaning of the word, "NO THANKS!"  Suffice it to say, I was good and was able to pass on the cake and eat more carrots and celery.  I also passed up a few cookies at a dinner the church had on Sunday night for all the people who volunteer in the kids ministry.
3: Not getting enough sleep! Sleep is one of the most important aspects of your health. If you aren't sleeping at least 7 hours per night you aren't getting the precious sleep you need in order for your body to do what it needs to do to function. This is especially true when you are working out everyday. In order for muscles to recuperate and heal properly they need rest. Jake hasn't slept well for the past two week it seems. Ever since we came home form Puerto Rico I have had to get out of bed up to 5 times per night. That isn't always every night but he always wakes up at least two times between the hours of 7pm-7am. The first time is almost always around 11pm. I will have just drifted off to a deep sleep and suddenly jolted out of sleep. It makes my heart race every time. Scares me to death! About a month ago Joe and I decided to take pacifiers away from Jake because we were tired of having to retrieve them for him every time he woke up at night. He was completely broken of them in a few days and then we went back to using them when we headed out to Puerto Rico. I don't know how we would have survived without the pacifier on the airplanes. It kept him happy and the other passengers as well. Since we have been home we continued to keep using them and two days ago started to take them away once again. Jake can fall asleep just fine without one. It is the trying to get him back to sleep once he has waken up in the middle of the night that has been frustratingly challenging this week.I am about to just throw 10 pacifiers in his crib in the hopes that he can find ONE of them and go back to sleep, but at the same time I don't want him to have to rely on them. I know everyone has different opinions on pacifiers. I have heard how bad they are, or how terrible it is for me to take them away from him so I don't need advice here. I am just venting and am completely capable of being a good parent to my son and making the right decisions. Either way he isn't going to grow up scared by whether we decide to give him a pacifier or not. (Dismounting my horse. Where did that come from?) Anyway, I need more sleep.
Challenge #4: I don't know if I mentioned this challenge in my last post but it is probably the most challenging next to food. The only time I can get in a workout is when Jake is napping. His naps usually last from 60-90 min and that gives me enough time to workout, shower, and eat something.  However, I have a whole list of things that I want to get done around here that I can only do when he sleeps, such as, wash windows, yard work, spring cleaning in the house, shampoo carpets, wash and wax the car etc. That means it will take me several weeks to have my "To Do List" complete. Before Jake, I would have it done in a week or less. Jake is certainly a lot more fun then a "To DO List" but I like things neat and clean. I am not OCD by any means because it is not first priority for me, but it would be nice to get it done before summer hits. Every thing seems like a chore these days and I have never liked doing chores. I want to play and be outside so if that means my house is going to look like a tornado hit it for a few weeks, then so be it. I have to have fun before I can do work. I don't know how some moms keep up with the house work.
Well, my blog must come to an end because my son is apparently ready to get up from his very short 40 min nap. Grrrrrr.

1 comment: