Sunday, April 25, 2010

Workout Week # 3

I can't believe that 3 weeks of working out is complete. When I first started I thought the weeks were going to crawl by and now I feel like they are flying by. I have already re-established my love for working out! I have always heard that it takes 21 days to make something a habit and it is so true. My number one priorities for each day besides hang out with my son as much as I can is to do my daily Bible readings and to work out. Whatever else I accomplish is great too but not as important.
Week 3 workouts consisted of lots of push-ups, pull-ups, 350 crunches three times a week, biking, yoga, Karate, arms, plyometric training, and going on walks. The workouts are still really hard but I am feeling much stronger then I did on day one and I have so much more energy then I had three weeks ago.This week I take a break from lifting weights and focus on cardio, yoga and core.
I finally got on the scale today, which is not something I like to make a habit of because it isn't always about numbers for me. If I feel good and my clothes are fitting better then that makes me happy. Well, I was 1.5 lb lighter then when I started! I am now only 8.5lb from my goal! I also put a skirt on this morning before church that hasn't fit me since before I was pregnant and it fit well enough to wear today. It was a little snug but not uncomfortably snug and that made me more happy then having lost any weight.
My challenges for the week were few are far between. I can't say that this week was really all that challenging. I did try a few new foods so I guess I can consider that a challenge in a different kind of way. I have always wanted to try eggplant.  I went shopping at Meijer this week instead of my normal trip to Aldi and Walmart. I am getting so tired of shopping at those places because they don't have as large a quantity of fruits and veggies so I decided to take a break from the norm and live it up for the week.  It was a trip well deserved even if I spent more than I normally do on groceries. ( I guess I can consider this my challenge of the week) The endless choices in the produce section sent me soaring! I felt like a little kid at the candy shop! So many great choices, but I couldn't buy them all or they would spoil before i had the chance to eat them. Egg plant was on my list of things to get, as well as my normal veggies; squash, zucchini, spinach, avacado, celery, carrots, asparagus, and several others. My next stop was th meat market. Hmm. Another great section of the store. We love meat in the Wisley house. A meal isn't a meal without some form of muscle building protein.  I decided to go with a pork tenderloin and make that for dinner that night.  My trip ended quickly since Jake was almost ready for a nap. I purchased my items and headed home to get the boy down and admire all the fresh and healthy food items.
Dinner that night changed once I opened the package of pork and gagged at the smell of rotting meat. I always check expiration dates and I was not at fault for this mistake. Date read: 4?25/2010.  The date the day it was bought: 4/23/2010.  Bummer. I'd have to take that back the next day, which I did, hoping they would give me a gift card for their mistake. 
Nope, no gift card.  Bummer again!
We had salmon and eggplant cooked under the broiler with some olive oil and salt and pepper. It was not at all what I was expecting. I really didn't like it at all! It had a very bland flavor, but I am determined to find a way to make it taste good. I absolutely love watching foodnetwork. My fav chef is Giada and she uses eggplant a lot in her cooking so I have already found a few ways to improve the flavor.
Another food I am practicing with flavor enhancement is deer meat, or venison if your prefer.  I love deer meat, if cooked properly. It can be tough and boring so you have to use a good seasoning and tenderizer if making a deer steak.  Last week I attempted deer burgers. I failed on the meat holding together but passed on flavor using worchtershire sauce, salt, pepper, and B-B-Q sauce and whole wheat bread crumbs.  With the remaining meat I made meatballs in the oven and they held together just fine. Not sure what I will try this week but I would like to try a new food every week.
I am excited to get to take my 30 day photo next Sunday! I can't wait to compare it to my Day 1 photos. I have decided that I would reward myself at the end of every month with any one meal and any one desert I want, but I have to be really good in order for me to deserve it.  Here goes week 4!

3 comments:

  1. don't give up on eggplant! I love it and think it is quite tasty, but it is true, you have to cook it right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, I was just going to say that I love eggplant, too! there will be some in the garden this summer, but I don't know if I want to share! (j/k). I'm not sure exactly how derek makes it for me, but it really yummy. I think he either broils or pan fries it in olive oil, along with salt, pepper, parmesan and evoo. htat is my favorite way. I also have a russian recipe that involves a lot of mayo and bacon, but I"m sure that's not quite as healthy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. my mom used to always roll big slices of eggplant in a little bit of egg whites and bread crumbs mixed with parm cheese, and then pan fry them. they were delicious!

    ReplyDelete